Steam Marines is still in active development and the current build is v0.7.5a, still for PC/Mac. I’ve gained and lost an artist, gotten a decent bit of exposure on Steam Greenlight, and have trimmed a lot of fat and added tons of content (3 decks and 10 enemies not including variants, and a gateway boss and a mini-boss).
Originally the game was to be released by the end of Q2 2013, but as of right now it looks as if it’s unlikely to be done by the end of Q3 2013. D’oh.
Lots of thoughts about meaningful actions versus exploration in turn-based systems, procedurally level generation, player/AI balance, and other game design type issues. I’ll be fleshing those thoughts out more in future posts, mostly to aggregate them all in one place for myself.
- Added a half second delay between each Action Point spent during the monsters’ turns so the player can more easily see what they are doing.
- Added Squad Follow/Solo Mode so just one squad member can lead the squad.
- Squad members can auto-fire in follow mod.
- Added support for Squad Follow mode with less than four members alive.
- Added minimap.
- Added (better) widescreen support with black bars to maintain aspect ratio.
- Added camera shake when a squad member gets damaged.
- Updated monster health bar images to avoid render issues at higher display resolutions.
- Updated stairs graphic.
- Added Imp monster type.
- Added temporary fog uncover when initiating fire controls.
- Leader class only requires 1 AP to perform a fire action.
- Increased Scout weapons’ base range randomizer from 2-4 to 4-6.
- Grenadier has chance to destroy destructible terrain with aoe attack.
- Fixed bug with end turn sound effect being played each time a monster used an action point. This allowed the player to know how many action points the fastest monster on the map had.
- Fixed the Tutorial Toggle key not always accepting custom keybinds correctly.
- Fixed bug with squad follow mode breaking seemingly at random.
- Fixed Squad Follow Mode to be in lockstep with active character movements.
- Fixed squad members’ fields of view being skewed slightly east and south.
- Added new Squad Powers Bash and Radar.
- Added color coded event log messages.
- Forced text reflow for scrolling event log.
- Forgotten Ruins now have smaller generated dungeon maps.
- Monsters can sleep, allowing the squad to ambush or sneak around them.
- Monsters awoken from sleep will awake nearby monsters.
- Monsters can have multiple Action Points to draw on per turn.
- Fire Elementals can throw fireballs again (damage has been scaled down).
- Winged Raptors now have more action points and can gain bursts of speed near their targets.
- Frost Trolls can now power up and charge nearby squad members.
- Armor names generate properly instead of using weapon names.
- The event log now informs the player when the turn has been auto-ended.
- Fixed squad death sometimes triggering when squad was still alive.
- Fixed character level being saved as 1 when it is actually 2.
- Squad members can now properly fire over stairs.
- Firing at monsters wakes them up, even if the character misses.
- Monster bashing can no longer knock squad members onto obstacles.
- Fixed bug with being able to descend stairs on the main menu.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes involving bashing objects onto other objects.
Version 0.4a takes Quad in a different direction. Overworlds and dungeon locations, oh my! Grab it at the Quad site or from the forum!
- Implemented Overworld map.
- Added Forgotten Ruins, Castle Sun Gleam, Volcano Lair, and Ice Fortress dungeons.
- Added unique music for each dungeon type.
- Implemented health indicators for monsters.
- Added camera movements and a fadeout screen for descending stairs.
- Stairs have a random chance to lead to the Overworld. You may chose to continue the dungeon.
- Added Leader class Cohort Armor, Scout class Lobster Armor, Grenadier class Frog Armor, and Support class Legion Armor.
- Added new Grass tileset.
- Added new Crumbling Wall/Vine tileset.
- Squad avatars in readouts and squad information window now reflect current equipped gear.
- Stripped most unused assets.
- Fixed fog of war cover not updating properly during load game.
- Updates fog of war properly after smashing down all types of walls.
- Fixed Support weapons not generating over full range of sprites.
- Fixed Leader name overwriting Scout name during stair descent.
- Fixed inventory dupe bug involving loading save games.
- Fixed bug where squad inventory did not persist properly with an empty inventory.
- Fixed bug where spamming end turn key could cause desynchronization with character indicator.
- Fixed bug where the save state preview on he main menu had the Support character holding the Scout weapon.
Version 0.3a is a big one as you can see from the changelog below. Grab it at the Quad site or from the forum!
- Partial Fog of War with line-of-sight implemented.
- Monsters can go dormant with no nearby stimuli.
- Enemies will now prioritize squad members based on line-of-sight instead of proximity.
- Added floating combat damage numbers.
- Added treasure chests with randomly spawned weapon loot inside.
- Monsters now slide into position when moving.
- Unsmashable walls now have a 25% chance of being smashed.
- Added scaling number of monster spawns based on dungeon level.
- Added new monster types, “Overlord”, “Frost Troll”, “Grinch”.
- Made only certain type of monsters appear in certain dungeon types.
- Added armor ratings for monsters.
- Removed burrowing/unburrowing – not fun.
- Separated Armor and Weapon sprites on squad members’ avatars.
- Added randomly generated weapon sprites for squad members.
- Added partially opaque back panels to squad member information and scrolling event text.
- Added new background music for different dungeon types.
- New tileset for water dungeon.
- New stairs image added.
- Added weapon stat labels in the Squad Information Window.
- Added level up animation and sound effect.
- Background music is dependent on dungeon type.
- Monster spawning holes have chance to appear/spawn monsters reduced.
- Numerous monster AI optimizations so end turn executes faster.
- New/Load game now clears the event log.
- Monsters will no longer spawn on squad members or on other monsters.
- Refactored death handling; should have fixed crashing issue.
- Treasure chests will no longer generate loot for dead squad members.
- Fixed bug where spawning holes could fail to spawn a monster of the correct type.
Version 0.2a fixes some game crashing bugs and adds some more refined gui elements to ease the learning curve of the game. You can get the game at the official website Quad-Game or the Worthless Bums forums.
The full changelog is below:
Implemented basic tutorial overlay (default keybind ‘T’).
Implemented fire control target indicators.
Implemented inventory tooltips.
Added f1, f2, f3, f4 keybinds for selecting the individual squad members directly.
Added a Continue button to the main menu.
New and Load main menu buttons now prompt player if a game is in progress.
Implemented new tileset.
Added new dungeon generation type, “Cavern”.
Fixed squad member selection crash if only the Leader and Support were alive.
Fixed Load Game function triggering when there is no load state.
Fixed weapon ready action persisting to next squad member if manually selected.
Fixed weapon data not propogating to Squad Information Screen on load game.
Fixed default keybindings not reverting properly.
If keybinds show up blank in the options dialog when you install v0.2a over v0.1a, just hit the button to revert to default settings – that should resolve the issue.